Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Brynn's Big Moment


“Quiet, Sonny. It’s almost time.” Brynn cradled the cockatiel in her sweater. The Daddy/Daughter Valentine’s Party was ending. Time for her big moment!

One by one, children stood. “I love my Daddy because he…”

“Tucks me in,” said Scarlet.

“Makes me pancakes,” said Gabby.

“Takes me to the zoo,” said Lilly.

Brynn stood. “I love my Daddy because he got me the most beautiful bird IN THE WORLD!”

She threw open her cardigan. In a show of magnificent glory, Sonny soared over the class. His bright red cheeks, the perfect Valentine’s adornment.

But instead of Dad’s smile, Brynn saw chaos.

“Help, it’s flying at me!”

“Cover the cupcakes!”

“Don’t let it poop on me!”

Sonny squawked and flapped around the room. Children panicked. By the time he landed, chairs were overturned, juice spilled, and a Valentine card was being eaten. “What have I done?” thought Brynn.

In the car, Brynn held Sonny in her lap. “I’m sorry, Dad,” she sniffled. “I just wanted to say I love you. I ruined Valentine’s Day.”

At home, Brynn put Sonny in his cage. “I won’t make that mistake again.”

“Next month, I’ll bring a secret pet that really matches the occasion. Get ready for ‘Top ‘O the Mornin’ with Mommy,’ Rumple-snake-skin.” The green snake flicked its tongue.


28 comments:

  1. Oh Brynn! What a fun story, but obviously she did not learn her lesson. I love the chaos she created in the room. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun and original! I love the thought of seeing everyone's astonished faces as Sonny flew around the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and for the encouragement :)

      Delete
  3. Top o' the morning Mommy! Haha, love your twist! Brynn seems like a handful. Best of luck Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm already anticipating the chaos when the snake shows up. Love the ending's twist! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny! I can see the kids laughing reading this one. The ending shows sometimes they don't learn. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A snake for the next time?!!! I would be running and screaming, too! Funny story with a great twist. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Monica, for taking the time to read and comment!

      Delete
  8. Maybe Susanna needs a St. Patrick's Day contest! Funny thought with the snake since St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heehee! The kids' comments are spot on! And I love that Brynn didn't really learn a lesson from the chaos--shows her indomitable spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha this was fun. Love "Rumple-snake-skin."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, dear, poor Brynn! Best intentions gone awry! You just never know sometimes how things will turn out! Great ending too - I have a feeling St. Patrick's Day might be a LOT worse! :) Thanks for joining in the Valentiny fun, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete