Thursday, December 6, 2018

Candy Cane Saves Cocoa


The sun was sinking beyond the pines as Snowelle made final preparations for her renowned Cocoa Christmas Party. 

“Decorations are done, and there’s an extra for me!” Snowelle popped a candy cane into her mouth.

Passing the tree’s twinkling lights, ducking under mistletoe and prancing through the poinsettia path to the kitchen, she imagined her friends gathering to make merriment with her famous hot cocoa.

Snowelle warmed her hands at the stove, stirring the milk and chocolate together. She sniffed the vanilla before adding it in. “And where is the sugar?”

Snowelle sukced her candy cane as she searched…and searched. “Humbug! Out of sugar. Well, how bad can it be?” 

She poured her drink and lifted it to her lips. “Yuck! This will not do. I’ll have dump it all out.”

DING-DONG!

Snowelle jumped. She set her mug down in such a hurry that the candy cane was sent flying. It landed with a splash in her mug. 

Snowelle hurried to the door to find her friends caroling with rosy cheeks and fluffy earmuffs. 

She welcomed them with warm hugs. 

“Time to cozy up with your famous cocoa!” Holly picked up Snowelle’s mug and took a sip before Snowelle could stop her. 

“Wait, it’s no good. I didn’t have any -”

“Deeeelicious! And a hint of peppermint - my favorite!” Holly licked her lips. 

Snowelle peered into the mug to see the last bit of candy cane melting away. 

“Perfect! Candy cane garnishes to save the cocoa, and my reputation!”



42 comments:

  1. Creative idea fellow Buckeye. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU had me w/your title. Clever way to save the day! Love your lyrical language, too. Good luck and here's to hot cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading Kathy and your your kind words :)

      Delete
  3. Cute! It must have been really hot hot cocoa to melt the candy cane all the way. Good for Snowelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious! What a yummy way to save the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A happy (and sweet) ending for sure! Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great title! Good luck with the contest! I hope you get to celebrate with some sweet cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmm! I love cocoa with candy canes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a great "hot chocolate for one" recipe on epicurean if you google it. Cheers!

      Delete
  8. My favorite type of cocoa has a peppermint twist. Well done Stephanie, and I adore the name Snowelle! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally a hot cocoa fan, Steph...and I love your last line. And I agree with the others...Snowelle is a great name!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Kalee - the title has potential for sure. Planning on using it for a new idea too!

      Delete
  11. I just sat down from getting a mocha. I wish I had a candy cane to put in it. =) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet story, pun intended. :) I like the clever play of names and how you made the candy cane the hero.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice solution to the lack of sugar problem! And it makes me want to have some hot cocoa with a candy cane stirred in! Good luck with the contest!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum. I love cocoa, but I love the name Snowelle even more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful job with your lyrical descriptions! Candy canes in hot cocoa is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderfully serendipitous surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun story, Steph! I love the name Snowelle - very original! - and what a serendipitous solution - candy canes for sugar for perfect peppermint cocoa! Delicious! We'll all have to try it :) Thanks for joining in the Holiday fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just signed up for your course and I can't wait to get started!

      Delete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that third paragraph! Nice writing!

    ReplyDelete